Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

 Pregnancy Ticker

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My worst nightmare come true

Never in a million years did I think this blog would be used for this purpose, but I guess there is a reason for everything. As I sit by the bedside of my sweet baby boy at the University of Mchigan hospital a hundred bajillion things run thru my mind- Why Easton? Why us? How did this happen? Is he going to be ok? He NEEDS to be ok.

It all started about a week ago when I noticed some firmness in Easton's belly. I watched him carefully and treated it as bowel related adjusting his diet to accommodate constipation. A few days later with completely normal activity - playing, laughing, eating, and pooping the spot was still firm, so I did what any paranoid mom would do and I made an appt with his pediatrician. Almost instantly the doctor knew something was abnormal and said we had to figure out what it is and get it out ASAP. So we left with a script for a pediatric ultrasound in the morning.

Well we didn't last until morning - last night was a rough one with out of the norm wake ups, feedings and resistance to anything sleep related - screaming, flailing all over, arching his back, I knew something was wrong. To the ER we went. An ultrasound, cat scan and lots of bloodwork later, we heard the inevitable, dreaded word - cancer.

Nothing is 100%, but doctors are fairly confident that it's a Wilms tumor attached to his kidney and are going into surgery tomorrow with plans to remove the tumor and kidney. They will know more once they get in there, and are prepared for all possible situations. Surgery is scheduled for 9am tomorrow morning and we are confident that the amazing team of medical doctors are going to take great care of our baby.

After living the life of a dad with cancer, who by the way has fought an unbelievable fight, I neveR could have imagined my own son having to go through that. Today goes down as the worst day in history, although the next few days, even months could hand us more than we know. We are prepared to fight the fight of our life and will give it all we've got (and more than I'm sure we even know we have!) We are so fortunate to have the most amazing supper system behind us. Please keep us in your prayers - we need all we can get. Gooo Easton!

12 comments:

  1. Words could never describe how I feel right now. We are praying for Easton and your family. I am always around if you need anything at all, only minutes away.

    In our prayers
    Kalyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I am so sorry to hear this and will be praying my heart out for you and Easton. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney and Brian,

    Just wanted to to let you know how bad we feel for you and Brian. We will be praying for Easton as well as you guys, believing for the best outcome.

    Love and Prayers

    Bobby and Sarah

    Isaiah 41:13
    For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easton is in my thoughts! I hope tomorrow goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry to hear this. With the fight your Dad has put up in the past, I am confident Easton will do the same.

    Love, Amanda Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. All our love to Easton today. We're thinking about you guys and praying for the best. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Friends of Courtney Carr Metzger and Bryan Metzger, I will be organizing a "TakeThemAMeal" within the next few days. If you are interested in participating, please e-mail me (auntiejessie85@gmail.com) your e-mail address. Peace, Love, and Prayers to the Metzger Family. ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart just sank. Please know you are in my prayers and I hope the surgery is his one and only!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Courtney. I am crying for you and Easton right now. I hope everything went well today and I will be thinking of you nonstop until you send an update. Take care and stay strong for your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if you remember me I'm Erica's mom. We met last week at her Tastefully Simple party. I just heard about your son and I just wanted to let you know that you guys are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks to hear this. I pray that Easton will be fine. Take care and be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Courtney, I've never met you but you look exactly like Cari, my sister-in-law! You are both beautiful and have beautiful and strong families. Rest assured that you've got many people in Washington DC, Virginia, and Baltimore now praying for the handsome little Mr. Easton and all of you. <3 Kalyn

    ReplyDelete